Cupcakes never go to waste in my house, well as much as I can help it, but I can’t eat them all myself! Earlier this week, I made the Thin Mint Mini Cakes and I had leftover cake. So I made some Samoa Cupcake Shooters to continue on with Girl Scout Cookie week!
Now, when I was a Girl Scout, we called these Caramel Delights. No one here knows what I am talking about when I say Caramel Delights, so for this post, I am going with Samoas!
These are pretty easy to make and they taste AH-mazing. Between the chocolate, caramel and coconut, your mouth will be watering for more. Here is what you need:
2-3 C Chocolate cake crumbs
6 Samoa cookies
1/2 C Chocolate ganache or melting chocolate
1/2 C Caramel sauce (I used Smuckers)
1/2 C Toasted Coconut
1 batch Coconut Swiss Meringue Buttercream
*This will make enough for six cupcake shooters.
Coconut Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Makes Approximately 2 1/2 Cups
3 Large egg whites
3/4 C Granulated sugar
1 C (2 sticks) Unsalted butter at room temperature
1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
1/2 tsp Coconut extract
- Before you begin, please make sure to ready my original Swiss Meringue buttercream tutorial, especially if you are not familiar with how to make this type of frosting!
- Temper egg whites and sugar in a heat-proof bowl over a pot of water on medium heat. You need just enough water to cover the bottom of the pot. Heat the mixture to 140°F. Make sure to stir constantly to avoid cooking the egg whites.
- Using a wire whisk on your stand mixer, beat on medium high for 8-10 minutes until the egg whites form soft peaks.
- Add butter 1 tbsp at a time, ensuring each addition is well mixed.
- Change your mixer attachment to the paddle attachment and add vanilla and coconut extract. Beat until well incorporated and glossy. It took several more minutes for me to achieve the consistency I was looking for.
- I chose to add only a little bit of vanilla and coconut extract to this recipe, because I wanted the flavor of the toasted coconut to be more prevalent.
- To toast your coconut, place desired amount of shredded coconut on a baking sheet. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Cook for 15-20 minutes until you achieve your desired color. Remove from the oven every 5 minutes and stir so that it toasts evenly.
4 oz Milk chocolate chips
1 1/2 tbsp Heavy cream
- Use a heatproof bowl to melt the chocolate and heavy cream over a pot of simmering water, stirring constantly. Once melted, remove from heat and allow the chocolate to cool to room temperature before use.
To assemble the shooters, start by filling the bottom of your glasses with some of the cake crumbles. Then pipe some of the coconut buttercream on top. Drizzle chocolate ganache and caramel over the buttercream and top it off with toasted coconut.
Repeat these steps two more times! Top off your shooter with a Samoa cookie!
I purchased these 5 oz glasses at Bed Bath and Beyond. They are Libby’s Zombie glasses. I bought my six glasses individually, but they also sell them in a 12 pack! I love these because they are larger than a shot glass, so it allows you to stuff it full of stuff!