This frosting sort of happened by mistake, and sometimes those are the best. I made a batch of rice krispies treats on Friday night with the intention of making a totally separate dessert; a dessert which did not work out at all. Since I made my Seven Layer Bar Frosting, I was have racking my brain to think of different types of chunky frostings. I stared at the pan and decided I would try a Rice Krispies Treats Frosting.
The results? Kind of mind blowing. I think there are two ways you could do this. You could either start with a marshmallow frosting and add rice krispies cereal or you can do what I did, and make a vanilla frosting and add the rice krispies treats to the frosting. I really like the crunchiness of this frosting.
A few things about this frosting:
- It is best to prepare the batch of rice krispies treats in advance of making this frosting, so that the marshmallow sets a little bit.
- I used almond extract instead of vanilla try to and cut down the sweetness of this frosting.
- This frosting is best served within a day or two of making it. You can also try adding a teaspoon of milk or heavy cream for added creaminess.
- If you want to pipe this frosting, I suggest to use a large, round open tip, otherwise it will get clogged.
Rice Krispies Treat Frosting
Makes enough for 12 cupcakes
1 1/2 C Unsalted butter at room temperature
3 C Powdered sugar
¾ tsp Pure almond extract
2 C crushed Rice Krispies treats
- Allow butter to come to room temperature. Cream butter with your mixer for several minutes until smooth.
- Slowly add powdered sugar, one cup at a time while mixing on medium speed.
- Add almond extract and increase speed to medium high, beating until smooth.
- Add crushed Rice Krispies treat and gently mix into frosting.
- Spread on your favorite cupcake.
For Nutritional information, head over to My Recipe Magic